Everything You Need To Know About Immigration And Work Visas

Everything You Need To Know About Immigration And Work Visas

Singapore enjoys a reputation of being one of the world’s friendliest countries to do business. In fact, Singapore consistently tops the list of international reports as the best place to start a business. This is because we boast a hassle-free and straightforward set-up process, world-class infrastructure, the best IP protection, a high standard of living, and many more. For a small city-state, these are all impressive feats.

It should come as no surprise that many foreigners are interested in working in Singapore due to our strong and high-income economy. This allows for an added advantage for locally based businesses to attract talented individuals to boost their efficiency and performance. If you are a business owner planning to hire foreigners, you need to know about the various immigration and work visas.

In this article, we have made it easy for you by listing down the different types of work passes offered in this country, and what are the specific qualifications and definitions.

Types Of Work Visas

In Singapore, work visas are issued to four groups of people: Professionals, Skilled and Semi-skilled Workers, Trainees and Students, and Family Members.

1. Professionals

Professionals are typically high-earning individuals in managerial roles. Three types of work passes are available for professionals: Employment Pass, EntrePass, and Personalised Employment Pass. There are no foreign worker quotas and levies required.

Employment Pass is for foreign workers who are executives, managers, or working in a professional environment. They must earn a minimum of $4,500 a month and have the necessary qualifications.

EntrePass, on the other hand, is catered to entrepreneurs who want to start a business in Singapore. The business must be ventured-back and contribute to the country by hosting novel technologies.

Then, there is the Personalised Employment Pass, which is an extension of the regular Employment Pass, though it offers more flexible arrangements. Similarly, the individual must be high-earning and possess acceptable qualifications.

2. Skilled And Semi-Skilled Workers

Skilled and semi-skilled workers are considered mid-level employees. Under this category, there are five passes being issued: S Pass, Work Permit for Migrant Worker, Work Permit for Migrant Domestic Worker, Work Permit for Confinement Nanny, and Work Permit for Performing Artiste.

S Pass is the more general work visa that is applicable for candidates who earn a minimum of $2,500 a month and fulfil the standard assessment criteria.

Work Permit for Migrant Worker is for workers belonging to the construction, manufacturing, processing, or servicing industries. In contrast, the Work Permit for Migrant Domestic Workers is designed for workers aged between 23 and 50 and come from certain countries.

Work Permit for Confinement Nannies is only open to Malaysians who will work in Singapore for a maximum period of 16 weeks. The Work Permit for Performing Artiste, as the name suggests, is for anyone performing in bars, clubs, restaurants, or for events.

3. Trainees And Students

Four pass types are issued for trainees and students: Training Employment Pass, two forms of Work Holiday Passes, and Training Work Permit.

Training Employment Pass is for professionals who are signing up for practical training. The minimum income requirement is $3,000 monthly.

The Work Holiday Pass can be categorised into two groups: Work Holiday Programme and Work and Holiday Visa Programme. The former is for any students or graduates aged between 18 and 25 interested in working in Singapore for no more than six months. However, the latter is specifically for Australian nationals aged between 18 and 30 who will spend a year in Singapore.

The Training Work Permit is targeted at mid-level workers undergoing practical training for up to six months.

4. Family Members

While there is a total of five passes available for Family Members, only two work visas are of significance: Dependent’s Pass and Long-Term Visit Pass. Both passes are only issued to Employment Pass or S Pass holders. For more information on the other immigration visas, we recommend checking out the Ministry of Manpower’s website.


Considering the many rules, regulations, and instructions that go into applying for a work visa in Singapore, it is understandable that some people may find the entire process confusing and overwhelming. For those facing difficulties, do not worry, as Tianlong Services is here to help. Aside from being a company for businesses to outsource accounting in Singapore and providing services like consulting on chart of accounts, Tianlong Services can assist in ensuring a seamless visa application process. Contact us today at +65 8809 9315 to get started!

share this article!


What do Tianlong Services do?

Tianlong Services provides accounting services to small businesses and entrepreneurs.

We provide useful articles for business owners like you to understand more about accounting, tax and business in general to better understand the terms used in the business world.

Learn more about our accounting services and bookkeeping services on how we can help your business.

Not sure what is the difference? Learn about the similaries and differences of bookkeeping.

Online Accounting Services

Request a free trial

You will get a month’s worth of bookkeeping. Whether or not you continue with us, your reports for the month are yours to keep.