Globally, Singapore is recognised as an economic powerhouse. The city-state boasts of an enterprise-friendly environment that continues to attract entrepreneurs, investors, and corporations.
With the vision of building a Great Workforce and a Great Workplace for Singapore, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has excelled in formulating and implementing effective labour law policies for the city-state. The MOM also oversees the issuance of work passes to foreign professionals, including the S Pass.
What is Singapore S Pass?
The S Pass is a special work visa that allows Singaporean companies to employ medium-skilled overseas technicians with advanced expertise in key developing industries, such as aerospace engineering, chemicals, electronics, marine, pharmaceuticals etc.
The S Pass is open to all nationalities and allows mid-level skilled staff with relevant qualifications and work experience to work in Singapore.
An employer or authorised agent can make an S Pass application for the candidate. An application is assessed based on a point system by looking into the following factors:
- Education qualifications;
- Job type; and
- Work experience.
In contrast with the Singapore Employment Pass (EP), there is a maximum number of employees with an S Pass that a company can hire. Employees with an S Pass must only comprise 15% of the company’s total personnel in the services sector and 20% in all other sectors.
The MOM has a foreign worker quota calculator that you can use to gauge if you can still bring a foreign worker on board.
Key Facts about the Employment Pass
You can apply for an S Pass online. After submitting an application you can check the application status online. The following are other key facts:
- An employer or authorised agent applies an S Pass for the candidate.
- First-time candidates can receive an S Pass valid for up to 2 years.
- Employers are required to secure medical insurance for S Pass holders for the duration of their employment.
- Eligible S Pass holders can bring family members into Singapore on a Dependant Pass or Long Term Visit Pass.
To be considered eligible for an S Pass, candidates must fulfil one or more of the following:
- A minimum fixed monthly salary of $2,300, which should reflect work experience. Thus, older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.
- A degree or diploma, or specialised technical certificates with at least 1 year of full-time study.
- Years of relevant work experience.
Note: Fixed monthly salary will be increased to at least $2,400 from 1 January 2020.
Required Documents for the EP Application
To increase your chances of successfully applying for an S Pass, MOM requires a duly completed application form along with clear photocopies of the following documents:
- The candidate’s educational certificates, e.g. degree certificate, transcripts and Certificate of Graduation;
- Personal particulars page of the applicant’s passport;
- Employer’s most recent ACRA business profile; and
- Additional documents that MOM may request.
It is important to note that all the above documents must be in English. If any document is written in a foreign language, an English translation and a copy of the original document is required. Official English translation service providers include a notary public or High Commission or Embassy.
Procedure for Application
Your employer or a registered employment agent must complete the following steps to apply for an S Pass:
Step One: Submit an Application
Most applications are usually submitted online. However, if the foreign company does not have a registered office in Singapore, it must hire an approved third-party service provider to manually apply through the mail.
- Online applications take at least 3 weeks to process
- Manual applications must be submitted at a SingPost location and takes at least 8 weeks.
The fee for both online and manual applications is SGD$75.
Step Two: Receipt of Approval Letter from MOM
If the application is approved, MOM will send an in-principle approval letter (IPA) to the employer with details of additional requirements that are needed to facilitate the issuance of the S Pass card. Once the IPA has been received, the candidate will be given 6 months to enter Singapore and request the issuance of the S Pass.
Step Three: Issuance of Employment Pass
The representative from the employer must be the one to request the issuance of the S Pass card. This requires the foreign applicant to be present in Singapore to satisfy the requirements needed for the card. He or she must set an appointment at MOM for the card registration.
The requirements needed during the physical visit to MOM are the following:
- The applicant’s passport;
- Embarkation or disembarkation card;
- Educational attainment documents;
- Foreign applicant’s residential address in Singapore;
- Completed medical exam form;
- IPA letter;
- Accomplished declaration form;
- Contact details of the employer representative to receive SMS or email alerts with delivery details
- Payment of SGD$100
Step Four: Receipt of Your Employment Pass Card.
Within 4 working days, the S Pass card will be delivered to the provided address of the employer’s representative. The representative will receive an SMS or email at least 1 working day before the delivery. After two unsuccessful deliveries, you’ll have to collect the card at the MOM Services Centre – Hall C.
Cancellation of the Pass
An employer can cancel the S Pass if it expires or when the holder no longer works for the company. The cancellation can be facilitated by the employer or an appointed employment agency through the EP Online. Once the cancellation request is received, MOM cancels it immediately.
The employer must submit the original S Pass card to the MOM office within 7 working days from the date of cancellation. If the S Pass holder has any family member handling a Dependant’s Pass at the time of the pass cancellation, the DP will also be cancelled.
How Can We Help?
If you are looking forward to working in Singapore, eliminate the stress from your Singapore S Pass application by contacting Tianlong Services. With our extensive experience in dealing with S Pass cases, we are able to efficiently check your eligibility consistent with the latest MOM demands.
Not only will you learn your chances for fortunate S Pass application, but also be guided in the next steps that lead to a successful approval. Applicants who get their fitness assessed at the very beginning avoid pitiful mistakes and boost their chances for approval at the first push through our expert services.